Followers

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Recipe for a fun get together

We had a little get together to celebrate Independence Day.  I don't know if it's motherhoood or getting older but I find that I become a little more patriotic as the years go on. You won't see me decked out in red, white and blue, however, I have a greater appreciation of this country that I live in.  I find myself thanking God more and more that I am able to live in America with liberty and justice for all.

Back to my recipe.  We had some people over and it made me start thinking about what makes a party or get together successful?

1. It doesn't hurt to decorate for the occasion.



Listen to me peope.  Your decorations don't have to be complicated. I happen to LOVE craftiness and may over do it at times.  I put together a few hand made napkins, flowers in a vase and some dried beans with candles.  Throw in some cutsie letters and banner and you've got some decor.  Think outside the box.  Buy flowers at the grocery store (I do it all time).  Do something so that your guests know you thought about them!

2. Invite new and old friends!


Ronnie and Ryan have been friends since college!

New friends we met that night! Such a sweet couple!

Joe: Single, successful and going to school to get his MBA. 


Don't be afraid to invite new people or let your friends bring friends! We're all adults here.  Nothing bonds you like food!

3. You can never go wrong with cute kids...or kids on the way.



Look at that cute little belly.  Hi Ava Jane!  We are ready to meet you!

Don't be afraid to have kids over.  It's okay if you don't have a ball pit.  The beautiful thing about kids is that they can usually find something to entertain themselves!  Especially if you take the party outside.
4. Don't forget good food.

It starts with this...smokin!

It ends like this. Nothing left!

I had to throw in this awesome tart I made. 

Be sure to have your guests bring something!  It's taken me a long time to realize that I don't have to make it all.  Ronnie loves to smoke so we always have the meat.  I usually like to provide an appetizer of sorts like Jalepeno Poppers, a side dish and dessert.  The advantage to having other bring a side dish is getting to try new foods.  I heart potluck!

5. End the night with a bang!



This night we happened to have some small fireworks.  It had rained most of the day so we were worried we wouldn't be able to enjoy our fireworks.  I had a back up plan- Apples to Apples.  Have you played this game?  It's a really great game for people you'vve known since Kindergarten or those you met an hour ago.  Luckily we were able to pop fireworks.  Sometimes your plan is no plan and thats okay too.

All in all, we had a great celebration.  I am thankful to those that were able to come over and celebrate with us. 

God Bless America!

More adventures to come!

1 comment:

Tabitha said...

1. Looks like a fun time!
2. Avery looks like she was having a great time "chillin" with the homies ;-)
3. I'm glad you're learning you don't have to provide EVERYTHING just because it's at your house.
4. It looks like you're trying to sell Joe ;-)