Followers

Thursday, August 22, 2013

What to do with Funeral Flowers

Ya'll, I'm not a sentimental person. Have I told you that?  I blame my mom. Seriously. She wasn't particularly sentimental person. But my mom got so many flowers when she passed. So. many.  And they were beautiful.  I would just walk around her room at the funeral home and look at them and read the cards a million times. At the church the morning of her funeral I looked at them again.  She would have loved all the flowers.  They really were amazing.

And so when it came time to bring flowers home or have them donated to a nursing home, I could hardly bear for any of the flowers not to come with me.  They were beautiful.  And amazing. And huge! I actually wrote my name on all the flowers and plants I wanted to come home with me! And then I had an idea. It actually came from my dear friends 7 year old daughter who had come to see my mom.  She said "Aunt Jen, I really like the flowers you picked out for your mom."  Be still my heart people.  I loved them too sweet girl.  I told her after the service I would bring them home and let her pick some out and take them home. Then it hit me.  How about I bring A LOT home and let a few of Avery's friends come over and make their own little flower arrangements? Even in the midst of sorrow I have genius ideas.

And so my sweet friend Tabitha and her girls came over. And also my friends and neighbors Lindsey and Darren and their 3 girls came over.  We got together one evening this week and gave the girls a vase and access to the gazillion flowers I was hoarding.

IMG_9323
The girls picked and chose the perfect flowers to their hearts content!

IMG_9325

IMG_9336
 
It was chaos and a complete mess. My mom would have loved it!
 
IMG_9328
 
IMG_9331
It was such a fun thing to do with all the flowers and a great way to honor my mom. There were so many different varieties to choose from.  They even learned what "filler" is!

IMG_9326
 
IMG_9324
 
Even little Claire got in on the action!
  IMG_9340
The girls had a blast! I was impressed with the arrangements they came up with! Not too shabby for girls 7 and under!
 
IMG_9348
Avery
 
IMG_9346
Lyla
 
IMG_9342
Chloe
 
IMG_9339
Natalee

I missed getting a picture of Hannah with her arrangement. I'm pretty sure Hannah was just as happy that Ellie would actually sit in her lap for a short time! It is kind of a big deal. Ellie kind be a snob sometimes. a lot.
IMG_9347
 
And the aftermath.
IMG_9349
This actually looks cleaner than it actually was! But I wouldn't change it for the world.  It was such a fun time.  We ended the evening with pizza and playing outside.  It doesn't get better than that.

So if you ever find yourself in a situation with tons of flowers that you can't bear to get rid of, have a flower arranging party with your bestest friends (of the little or big variety).  I promise a good time will be had by all.
 
IMG_9341
 
IMG_9338
 
IMG_9330

No comments: